Did you know that Oakland Police Department now eats up nearly 50% of the city's general fund? And that by canceling the newly proposed police academy, reducing OPD’s overtime allocation by 50%, and canceling the COPS grant match, we could free up ~35 million dollars? Read about the budget here.
SURJ is joining forces with Defund OPD, a coalition whose mission is to reduce the Oakland Police Budget by 50% and reinvest that money into alternative non-police programs that can better protect and strengthen our communities.
We envision free mental health clinics, trained mediators and social workers who are able to respond to emergencies, and EMS & Fire Departments that are not tied to the police force.
Take part in the Defund OPD social media campaign!
1) Make your own sign saying what Oakland City Council should prioritize instead of more police. (Or print a PDF version here.)
2) Take a picture of your sign!
3) Post it to social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
5) Tag at least one councilmember. Here's a map of councilmembers by district.
6) Tag at least 3 friends - tell your friends to take their own picture and pass it along!
Join Defund OPD for a councilmember visit!
Outreach with SURJ to raise awareness about Defund OPD!
Check our social media for upcoming opportunities to canvass and flyer across Oakland districts to raise awareness about Defund OPD. First SURJ outreach event is this Saturday 6/10/17 at Grandlake Farmer's Market from 10:30-2pm. Meet in front of the Grandlake Theater.