SURJ Bay Area is joining forces with the Repeal Three Strikes Law Coalition, led by system-impacted people, and made up of activists, advocates, and grassroots organizations including SURJ Bay Area partners Initiate Justice and CURB.
Repealing Three Strikes will reunite families, reduce mass incarceration, and end counterproductive spending on extreme sentences so funding can instead be invested in making communities safer.
In 1994, California was one of many states to pass a Three Strikes Law (via Prop 184) as part of the wave of “tough on crime” legislation in the mid-90s. The law made it mandatory for anyone convicted of three felonies to serve 25 years to life if any two of the crimes were considered serious or violent.
Today, more than half the people sentenced under the law were given life sentences for nonviolent crimes like stealing a dollar in change from a parked car or attempting to break into a soup kitchen. And the law has disproportionately impacted communities of color. Long sentences don’t make our communities safer, investing resources into them does.
We need your help to repeal Three Strikes - join us!
The goals of the campaign:
- Repeal the Three Strikes Law with a 2022 ballot measure.
- Ensure those most affected are centered in the organizing.
- Create a viable blueprint for other states to repeal similar laws
- Reclaim, reimagine, and reinvest the dollars spent to maintain Three Strikes away from the carceral system and into the community.
THERE ARE MANY WAYS YOU CAN GET INVOLVED:
Volunteer, Get Trained, Take Collective Action!
You can be part of the statewide movement to Repeal Three Strikes. SURJ will be training and organizing volunteers into pods where you can be part of a group of new folks or recruit your friends or family to create a pod to work together to take action. Sign up to get involved here.
Donate to Support the Campaign!
The coalition needs funds to hire professional signature gatherers, conduct polling on effective messaging, retain lawyers to ensure legal compliance, pay staff, and more. To date, SURJ Bay Area has raised over $40,000—help us reach our $60,000 goal by the end of October! Every act of fundraising counts, whether it's $1 or $1,000—what’s important is giving an amount that feels meaningful and significant to you. Donate here to help us reach our next goal!
Read These Powerful SURJ Blogs To Learn More About the Campaign!
• Why Repeal California's Three Strikes Law?
• Timeline to 2022: How We Repeal California’s Three Strikes Law
Become a Social Media Ambassador!
We need to connect with as many voters as possible and social media will be one way to reach people about the law and how it impacts people of color. Check the Supporter box on the Interest Form and we'll let you know about upcoming social media trainings. Sign up here. Find the social media toolkit here.
Buy Repeal Three Strikes Merchandise!
Purchase a t-shirt, hoodie, or sweatshirt that shows the world your support for the Repeal Three Strikes campaign. Plus your purchase will support the work to get the initiative on the ballot in 2022. Buy your swag here.
Learn more! Educate Yourself and Others!
- Visit the Repeal Three Strikes Coalition website.
- Follow the Coalition on Social Media: Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • YouTube
- Here's a report from the California Innocence Project: Three Strikes Law
- Learn about Stanford Law School's Three Strikes Project: Three Strikes Basics
- Read this 2013 background piece in RollingStone: The Shame of Three Strikes Laws