The rapid displacement of Black, Brown, and poor community members has subtly altered the role of police in the Bay Area. Until the 1960s, many Bay Area cities had “Sundown” laws, which allowed police to arrest any person of color after dusk. While these laws are no longer on the books, the Oakland-based Anti Police-Terror Project (APTP) notes that related tactics are still in place. In the current era, police continue to selectively patrol upscale and “up and coming” neighborhoods, and over-patrol poor neighborhoods. In this way, Bay Area police violently reinforce the status quo of white supremacy in our communities. The recent Oakland Police pay raise without public input and the stalling of California’s Police Use of Deadly Force (AB 931) bill are further evidence that police unions hold undue sway in the democratic process, often sidelining the voices and needs of communities of color to make way for increased police power and influence.
APTP is a Black-led, multiracial, and multigenerational organization dedicated to ending state-sanctioned murder and violence perpetrated by police against Black, Brown, and poor people. APTP uses a variety of tactics to combat police terror. They work with impacted families to provide financial, legal, and mental health support. They conduct investigations of police violence independent of police department influence by surveying witnesses and collecting video evidence. They push to reduce the local budgets of police forces and reinvest in community-led alternatives. And throughout their efforts, they continue to remind folks that officers continue to murder Black, Brown, and poor people with impunity. This year, APTP:
And as part of our #12DaysToShowUp campaign we invite you to:
75% of all the funds raised during the #12DaysToShowUp will go to local Black, Indigenous, and People of Color led organizations like APTP. The remaining 25% will be sent to under-resourced rural SURJ chapters mobilizing white people throughout the U.S to support racial justice causes such as ending police terror.
Browse by date