This year, as part of our commitment to confronting white supremacy’s role in creating violence against trans women of color, SURJ Bay Area has continued partnering with the Transgender, Gender-Variant, and Intersex Justice Project (TGIJP). SURJ supports TGIJP in its mission to support transgender, gender variant and intersex people inside and outside of prisons, jails and detention centers. TGIJP is a Black trans woman led organization fighting for self determination, freedom of expression, and gender justice.
TGIJP’s work includes grassroots organizing, legal advocacy, building power and relationships among their members inside and outside of cages, local, state and national coalitions, campaigns and projects, re-entry support services for formerly incarcerated TGI folks, policy work, mail nights for currently imprisoned folks, and more. TGIJP is the only group working directly with transgender, gender variant and intersex folks both within prisons and in reentry programs.
SURJ Bay Area Queer & Trans Committee calls in white queer and trans folks, moves resources to Queer and Trans People of Color-led (QTPOC) racial justice organizations, and amplifies QTPOC movement leadership. As queer and trans people, our liberation is linked to struggles for racial justice and ending all forms of oppression.
As part of our #12DaysToShowUp, we hope you’ll make a gift to support Transgender, Gender-Variant, and Intersex Justice Project (which will be matched up to $10,800 by SURJ members). SURJ Bay Area has a principle of passing on at least half of all funds we raise to local racial justice organizations led by people of color such as TGIJP. 75% of our fundraising is donated without condition. The remaining 25% will be sent to under-resourced rural SURJ chapters mobilizing white people throughout the U.S. to support racial justice causes.
Comments are closed.
Browse by date