“It is no longer socially permissible to use race, explicitly, as a justification for discrimination, exclusion, and social contempt. So we don’t. Rather than rely on race, we use our criminal justice system to label people of color ‘criminals’ and then engage in all the practices we supposedly left behind.” — Michelle Alexander, lawyer, writer, civil rights advocate, professor
According to the Sentencing Project’s special report to the United Nations, our criminal justice system is in fact, two systems — one benefiting wealthy white folks, and one deeply disadvantaging black, brown, and poor folks. People of color are disproportionately arrested, tried, and sentenced. This results in the loss of the ability to vote, secure housing, and find a job, among other human and civil rights.
All of Us or None (AOUON) is a grassroots civil and human rights organization fighting for the rights of formerly- and currently- incarcerated people and their families. All of Us or None challenges this racist and classist system in the following ways:
In May, dozens of SURJ Bay Area activists went to Sacramento and joined with members of All of Us or None and many other groups to lobby for over a dozen proposed bills that would help enfranchise incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people.
Still, there is much more work to be done to create a system that is just. A powerful political movement to win full restoration of human and civil rights needs the financial commitment of concerned citizens like you. Please donate today.
Make a tax-deductible donation today to help keep up the momentum on the fight against mass incarceration in the new year!
During the #12DaysToShowUp campaign, 75% of all the funds raised will go to local Black, Indigenous, and People of Color-led organizations like All of Us or None. The remaining 25% will be sent to under-resourced rural SURJ chapters mobilizing white people throughout the U.S to support racial justice.
Browse by date